Unilever Food Solutions SG50 Video celebrates Singapore's culinary achievements
Interviews, treasured photos from decades ago and historical facts provide a rare insight into the past and present of Singapore’s food and beverage industry.
– In the lead-up to Singapore’s 50th independence anniversary, Unilever Food Solutions is proud to release a specially commissioned video chronicling the history, challenges and growth of Singapore’s much-lauded food and beverage industry as well as food quality and safety standards.
The five-minute video titled “Singapore Food Story” also features interviews with the founders and key personnel of longstanding and popular food establishments, like Elsie’s Kitchen (founded in 1960), Jack’s Place (founded in 1966), Tenderfresh (founded in 1979) and Tung Lok (founded in 1984).
In the video, they shared the food safety standards of yesteryear, their encounters with di gu (inspectors who round up unlicensed food operators in the 1960s), new cooking methods, and their progress into using central kitchens and the robotic age.
In addition, the video features treasured photos of roadside stalls from decades ago and the early hawker centres, as well as nuggets of historical facts, like when and where the first hawker centre was built, and Singapore’s milestone three-time wins at the Culinary World Cup.
The video is especially significant to show how far Singapore has gone in just a few decades in the food and beverage industry, leaving deep impacts on every person in Singapore and its visitors. Unilever Food Solutions is proud to be a leading partner with so many outstanding food establishments and play a part in creating Singapore’s food history.
Unilever Food Solution’s SG50 “Singapore Food Story” video can be viewed on www.ufs.com/SG50 It will also be screened at the following SG50 celebratory events organized in collaboration with various government agencies and SG50 ground-up committees.
1. SG50: A Journey Through The Decades exhibition
- Venue: Outside Ang Mo Kio Hub
- Date: Aug 1 to 9
2. SG Eat With Us event (as part of Singapore National Day Parade Carnival)
- Venue: Waterfront Promenade Open Space (next to MBS Convention Centre)
- Date: Aug 1 at 12.55pm; Aug 7 at 12.55pm; Aug 8, at 1pm
Unilever Singapore Pte Ltd
20 Pasir Panjang Road, #06-22
Mapletree Business City
1 800 661 9898
1 800 661 9767